The Heritage Centre is a fascinating visitor attraction which caters for all ages and tastes. The variety of exhibits ranges from pre-Christian times and includes a history of the church. It also has information about many residents of Largs with an emphasis on the 18th century but also not forgetting the well-known sons and daughters of the town today.
The centre closes on Saturday 31st August.
The Heritage Booklet is available for download here in PDF format.
St. Columba Experience
As part of the Heritage Centre The St Columba Experience is an exciting new Audio Trail of the historical parts of Largs which lasts for about 1 hour using a handset and which gives valuable and interesting information about the town. In addition the handset also takes you on a tour of the church describing in detail the superb stained glass windows and carvings within St Columba's. This is a tour not to be missed.
There are 18 stops on the tour:
01. St Columba's Parish Church - a brief history
02. Nardinis - ice cream and more
03. Gallowgate Square - summer letting, commandos, Colms Day
04. Museum and Skelmorlie Aisle - Brisbane, Mauchlineware, memorabilia
05. Largs Railway - accidents
06. Clark Memorial Church - tallest building
07. St John's Church and Largs Bay - Thomas Elder
08. Broomfields - child's play, Kelburn
09. Largs Bay - points of interest and curling
10. Battle of Largs - the Pencil
11. Brisbane Centre - the Brisbane legacy
12. The Moorings - dancing, Charlie Harkin's Kit Kat Band
13. Fish Quay and boat trips - sailing dinghies, Jinky and Steamers
14. Lifeboat Station - safety on the Clyde
15. Vanduara - Netherhall, Prophets' Grave, Lord Kelvin
16. The Big Secret - discover an astonishing fact about Largs
17. Barrfields - Catalinas and Vikingar
18. Guide to the stained glass windows and interior of St Columba's Parish Church
The talking guide is the tour that you control. Let it be your host as it accompanies you around the town. Soak up the atmosphere and learn some of the history of this popular resort.
Learn more of our connection with Australia and hear both interesting facts and amusing stories about our past.
The Audio Trail Of Largs Booklet is available for download in PDF format.